Routine maintenance around your home can save you thousands in the long run. Via The Real Estate Book.com here are a few Plumbing Maintenance Checks that are easy to do once a year and will save you lots of $$$ in repairs down the road.
- Check for Leaky Faucets – sometimes this just may seem like an annoying small fix but the moisture can put wear on sink fixtures and may even welcome mold growth. These small leaks cans also sometimes lead to bigger future problems.
- Clear you Lint Trap - lint build-up can clog or block the drain of your washing machine if not cleaned regularly. Another option here would be to hire a plumber to install a wire trap filter to improve drainage.
- Inspect Supply Hoses - check all the hoses that connect to your appliances, look for signs of leakage especially from appliances such as your dishwasher, icemaker and washing machine. Fix any leaks or replace with a stainless steel hose!
- Check Your Water Heater – check the thermometer to make sure the temperature is lower than 120 degrees Fahrenheit. You can increase the life of your heating unit by draining a few gallons of water from the tank to eliminate corrosion-causing sediment.
- Test your Sump Pump – you can do this by pouring a few buckets of water into the sump pit to test its true protection from flooding. It should activate automatically and shut off when the job’s done.
- And just remember little leaks can lead to big problems!