Preparing for a big move? Remember to check off all important tasks on your list! View our recommended list below.
For more information on moving or if you have questions about buying or selling real estate in Chittenden County, contact Geri.
Send Change of Address to:
- Post office: give forwarding address
- Charge Accounts, Credit Cards
- Subscriptions: notice requires several weeks
- Friends and relatives
- Bank: transfer funds, arrange check cashing in new city
- Insurance: notify new location for coverage: life, health, fire, auto
- Automobile registration: transfer of car title registration is necessary: also driver's license, city windshield sticker, motor club membership
- Utility companies: gas, light, water, telephone, perhaps fuel; get refund of any deposits made; arrange for new town service
- Routemen: laundry, paper boy, changeover of service (rubbish etc.)
- School records: ask for copies of transfer of children's records
- Medical, dental, prescription history: ask doctor and dentist for referrals, transfer needed prescription; eyeglasses; x-rays
- Church, club, civic organizations: transfer memberships; get letter of introductions
- Pets: ask about regulations for licenses; vaccinations, tags, etc.
- Empty freezer: plan use of food
- Defrost freezer-refrigerator. Place charcoal to dispel odors
- Have appliances serviced for moving
- Call cable company and/or leave remote antenna equipment
- Clean rugs and clothing before moving: have them moving wrapped
- With your moving counselor, check insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and time of expected payment.
- Plan for special care needs of infants
Don't Forget To...
- Carry currency, jewelry, documents yourself; or use registered mail
- Plan for transporting pets; they are poor traveling companions if unhappy
- Carry traveler's check for quick, available funds
- Let close friends or relatives know route and schedule you will travel, including overnight stops; use him/her as a message headquarters
- Double check closets, drawers, shelves to be sure they are empty
- Leave all old keys needed by tenant or owner with agent or realtor
You might also like to read some of our other buyers and sellers tips.