Potential buyers have a sharper eye than you think. Make the first impression of your home count! Most home buyers find it easier to visualize the property as their future home when it’s staged. Here are 7 easy tips for staging your home.
- Give Buyers a Blank Slate: Take down family photos, remove children’s drawings from the refrigerator, or any personalized items.
- Declutter: Throw away anything you don’t need such as old magazines or newspapers. For the stuff you can’t throw away put them in storage. This includes bulky or worn out furniture. You will only need a few anchoring pieces such as a sofa and coffee table for the living room. To make the room feel bigger move all furniture away from the walls. Make your home look better for sale by organizing closets, you should be able to see 75% of all closet floors.
- Deep Clean: Once you’ve cleared out all unnecessary items give your home a good deep cleaning, and make sure to get every room! Clean inside and outside of cabinetry, polish metal taps/sinks, clean windows, dust off light fixtures and shades, shampoo all rugs and carpets. For walls and floors erase streaks and scuffs by dabbing a small amount of toothpaste on a napkin and wiping the area. If you don’t know where to begin hire a professional, and your place will be sparkling.
- Curb Appeal: Don’t forget about the outside of your home as well. In the winter make sure the deck and walkways are shoveled. In the summer mow your lawn, get rid of weeds, clean gutters, rim bushes, and replace tattered welcome mats with inviting new ones.
- DIY: Fix any broken elements of your home. Make all necessary repairs prior to selling. You will lose money if you don't take care of them before the house goes on the market. Fix squeaky doors or cabinets, leaky taps, and refresh peeling paint. Replace cabinet knobs throughout your kitchen and bathrooms to give them a revitalized and modern look.
- Odors & Scents: Some people are highly sensitive to smell. For showings & open houses limit the number of air fresheners, and candles in your home. If you have a pet, consider letting friends or family look after them for the day. This is always a good idea since some people are allergic.
- Lighting: Finally, show off all your home improvements with the right lighting. Turn on all lights in the house and open the curtains/shades in each room before a showing. This will make your home seem bright & cheery
To get more helpful tips – Sources: