Whether you are getting ready to sell your house or just trying to clear out old junk, decluttering spaces like garages and closets is not to be forgotten. Having your closets and garages reorganized will not only allow you to get rid of old belongings it will also make the spaces appear much larger. This is especially important when trying to sell your house. Buyers want to be able to properly get a feel for the property and what sort of space they will have. A Realtor.com survey found that 32% of buyers rated garages as one of the most important rooms! Firstly, it is important to make sure that everything you have in your garage space is actually something that belongs there. Family photos, artwork, collectibles, carpet and rugs can all be damaged by being left in a garage long term. Garages tend to have poor ventilation and be prone to dampness this can lead to mold and mildew which can damage sensitive items like those listed above. Propane tanks should be stored away from the house, outside on a flat surface is best. Lastly, paint and car batteries. Car batteries shouldn’t be stored on the floor as they can be affected by moisture, instead place them on a piece of wood or cardboard. Paint has potential to spoil when left in a garage as it does not handle temperature changes well. Instead store in a cool, dark and dry place.
Now that you know what doesn’t belong in your garage see the tips below on how to declutter and organize your garage and closets!
- Get rid of old toys and equipment that is laying around taking up space, you don’t need it anymore!
- Expired/old chemicals not only should these not be used they can potentially become a serious hazard.
- Make sure to dispose of these properly – items like paint and lawn chemicals are considered hazardous and should be disposed of properly.
- “I might need it someday” items are to be gotten rid-of, likely you won’t be using parts from your old lawn mower that’s been in the garage for three years. It doesn’t need to take up space anymore!
- Clean off that work bench! Work needs to be able to be done there.
- Think vertical storage, a garage is a great place for it and there are plenty of items you don’t regularly use that could be stored up high.
- Hang peg board. It’s a great way to organize tools!
- Create sections, not only will it look better it will also be easier to find items when they are needed.
- Get rid of duplicates, same goes for when cleaning out your closets.
- Install shelves in your closets, label bins and baskets to hold belongings and invest in matching hangers for a nice touch.
- Wall mounts are great for mops and brooms etc. it clears up the floor space within the closet
- Pick a nice day! You may have to haul items outside or empty the garage into the driveway so you have space to organize.
Follow these tips and you are well on your way to an organized and spacious looking garage and closets!