- Create A System: simplify the moving process by making a packing plan and schedule
- Choose Wisely: you will want to make sure your transportation has enough room for all your things, especially if the move is far and you are not planning on taking 2 trips. Generally the contents of a 1 bedroom apartment will fit in a 16-foot cube truck, while 2 or 3 bedrooms usually will fit in a 24- or 26-foot truck.
- Make a plan: before you start packing or contact movers, create an itemized list of everything that should be done and follow it as you go. This will make the move easier for yourself and others who are helping you. If you are using movers, make an inventory as you pack and check it when you unpack to make sure none of your items were lost.
- Communicate: once you have a plan, make sure your movers are aware of your requirements. The more communication there is the more prepared everyone will be. For example if you are moving into a condo or apartment, contact the landlord and ask if there is anything you should know about moving into the building
- Get Rid of It: Before you start packing, get your junk under control! Go room to room and decide what you can live without, what you can sell, donate or just toss.
- Label Everything: this will help make unpacking simpler by giving each box a label and a number.
- Save a box to ship: Once everything is cleared out, you still may stumble upon a few forgotten items. Keep an extra empty box so when it's time to lock up and leave you can simply ship the forgotten items to your new home.
Hopefully all these tips from thenest.com will help you with your next move, maybe into a new house for the New Year? For more tips on how to make your move as stress-free as possible, view our moving checklist!